Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Marinated Chuck Roast


Love beef?  I saw this on Chaya's My Sweet and Savory blog, and when she said that she and her husband are not big beef eaters but really liked this, then I knew this was for us. Chaya did not mislead. This has to be the very best roast I have ever eaten.  A rich marinade deepens the mahogany color. But the flavor!  Oh,  the flavor is amazing, getting  into the very corners of your mouth ~ slightly sweet and tangy, slightly winey, and  tender good.


Marinated Chuck Roast
(Discovered on Chaya's Sweet and  Savory)

3 to 4 pounds. chuck roast
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon tarragon **
1/3 cup rice vinegar **
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoon olive. oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup red cooking wine**
8 small mushrooms **
1 tomato, sliced **

Preheated 350 degrees oven.

In a small bowl, combine all ingredients, except tomatoes, to make the marinade.
Salt and pepper both sides of the roast and then place roast in glass pan. Pour the marinade over the roast.  Cover, refrigerate and allow meat to marinate at least 3 to 4 hours. Spoon marinade over roast from time to time. Just before roasting, slice the tomato and place on top of the roast.  Roast at 350 degrees for one hour.

I didn't have all the ingredients, so I had to make some substitutions.
**tarragon - after Googling for a substitute, I used a tiny pinch of anise seed
**rice vinegar - rice cooking wine
**red cooking wine - Madeira wine
**garlic powder - fresh diced garlic
 ** mushrooms - used Shittake
**tomatoes - omitted because I didn't have any fresh

Chaya, as I said, this has to be the very best roast beef I have ever made or eaten.  Thank you so much for sharing; it's a keeper and a recipe we'll enjoy many more times.